All these apps are free as I live in Norway, and Google Market does not allow paid apps in Scandinavia or most of the world. Great policy.... :(
- Touiteur. My prefered Twitter client
LocaleUseful tool that changes settings on your phone depending on different conditions. I use it to lower my ringtone at work, change autolock to off at home, turn of volume during the night, switch on wifi at home, reduce brightness in evening.
Note: Locale is no longer free so no longer recommended
Wave SecureSecurity app that can remotely locate you lost/stolen phone and do various things such as play a ringtone to locate it, backup data or even wipe / disable the handset.
I no longer use it as it is trialware and was worried about battery consumption.
- Remember the Milk I just would not function without my rmilk controlling my life
- Dolphin A browser. Quite useful. Not 100% switched to it from the stock one, but give it a try.
- Spotify Music streaming. Can't live without it.
- PlayNow by SonyEricsson. Music, games and app store by Sony. Quite a good selection of music. Included with my X10
- MediaScape by SonyEricsson. Media Photos/Music/Videos organiser and viewer. Works very well. Included with my X10
- TimeScape by SonyEricsson. Social and communication tool. Neat, but some scaling issue with social tools (Twitter/Facebook). Included with my X10
- 1881 Mobilsøk who is calling lookup tool in Norway. Works with all numbers so far.
- Listen by Google. My Podcast listener. Use it all the time for my JavaPosse addiction
- Places by Google. Very usefull lookup of local info eg resturants etc.
- SayMyName text-to-speach announcer of who is calling. I like it even though it really can't pronounce my sister's name: Hege
- SMS Popup Handy SMS previewer
- Compass by Google. Does what it says on the tin.
- SkyMap by Google. Keep forgetting to actual try it in the dark...
- MyTrack by Google. Cycling/Hiking route tracker.
- MyCityBikes Quick usefull information on how many bikes / places available city bike stands around Oslo (and perhaps others)
- Delicous Usefull to bookmark e.g. twitter links to look at later.
- Facebook yup, does facebook.
- Opera Mini Nice browser, but I stil use the stock Androind browser or Dolphin.
- TrackId by SonyEricsson. Like Shazam identifies music tracks by listening to them. Never really used either in practice. Included with my X10
- CallFilter Enables ignoring unknown callers.
- Trafikanten Excellent tool which suggest bus/tram/tube/train travell in Oslo by position and real time data.
- Layar Ads information about the area in your vicinity / camera view
- AutoLock Customises when your Android handset is locked (require pattern thing to unlock)
- Moxier Mail Use it to read my work Mail via MicroSoft Exchange ActiveSync
- Moxier Calendar Use it to read my work calendar
- Moxier World handy little weather tool
- Shopper by Google. Nice for demos but too US centric to be useful
- Goggles by Google. Nice for demos but too US centric to be useful
- Gesture Search by Google. Neat but never really used it practice
- Maps by Google. Included with my X10 and probably all Android handsets?
- Navigation by Google. Does not work in Norway
- Gmail by Google. Included with my X10 and probably all Android handsets?
- Google Talk by Google. Included with my X10 and probably all Android handsets?
- FourSquare Works well, although hard to add new places.
- Apollo Task Killer My first task killer. I use this one as my continously running auto killer
- Advanced Task Killer My other task killer. Which I on demand kill tasks. If you only need one, I prefer this one over the first one.
- Quick settings (with lowercase s) by SonyEricsson. Very handy and pretty widget for toggling wifi, bluetooth, gps and sound. Included with my X10
- Quick Settings handy widget for changing brightness amongst others.
- Currency Converter Usefull with nice charts as well. Could do with quick left/right switch button.
Autopilotfor Locale. Uninstalled when Locale became unavailable. WisePilotIts trialware and expired before I really used it. Included with my X10
- Youtube by Google. Not really used much. Nice for demos but not in practice. Included with my X10 and probably all Android handsets?
- eBuddy Multi channel chat client. Not used too much since Google Talk is already included with Android.
- Scoreboard Not used too much yet.
- Ringdroid Not used too much yet.
- ConnectBot SSH tool.
- Astro File manager.
- ES File Explorer
- Unit Converter
Apps I miss from my old iPhone:
- TV2 Live Norwegian TV station have an app for football score updates and commentery with live video higlights
- Skype No Android version.
- Yr.no Weather app. The Android version is unstable.
- Kindle Think I could read some books on my 4" X10 screen
- iPortalen.no Not an app, but a webpage of iPhone compatible web sites. An Android version would be good!
- Doodle Jump
- SMSBank Handy little tool to see the balances of my accounts
- NRK Radio
- Twitter nae Tweetie Touiteur is pretty good though.
Apps/Features I miss:
- Google Voice Not available outside the US
- Data Roaming Toggle widget
- Better keyboard I switch languages a lot, which was easy on the iPhone, but too many clicks in Android
- BBC iPlayer Region restrictions
- More useful Google Latitude/Foursquare/Gowalla I am only interested whom I know in the neighbourhood, and not on demand; I want to be told.
- MultiSIM! Hardware, but would love to switch between my Norwegian and UK SIM cards on the fly
Apps/Features I think exist but havent had time or found yet or is a paid app:
- Amazon ec2 console
- Jira overview
- Google Earth
- Air Control Addictive!
- Android LightSaber Compulsary
- Blow Up (LITE) Fun, but limited levels
- Labyrith Lite Once calibrated it worked well.
- Quadrapop by SonyEricsson. Included with my X10
- Sodoku Free Works well
- Trap Quite addictive
- Tux Rider
- ThrottleCopter Simple, hard, but good.
- R.Thunder Lite Looks nice.
- Armadillo Roll Looks nice.
- SpeedForge 3D
- Space STG Galactic...
- Defend Homeland....
- Play Curling
Need to distinguish somehow how much I recommended the various apps...